Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stuffed Chicken Fried Chicken, Southern Style



I wanted a dish that I could use my packaged stuffing that I hadn't made at Christmas so I thought of making stuffed chicken and using a peppery-white, southern gravy over the top. Sinfull yes, but delicious.

5 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts pounded flat
1 prepared box of stuffing mix, follow box directions
2 eggs, whisked with a little water
flour to dredge
breadcrumbs to dredge, panko or homemade
4 T. oil for frying

I pounded the breasts flat between two pieces of plastic wrap adding water to my flat mallet as I poiunded. Then I put a heaping spoonful of prepared stuffing in the middle of each breast. I folled up each breast with the sides first and then finishing with each end tucked over each other and secured with toothpicks. I then dredged each in flour, coated then with egg, and finally rolled in breadcrumbs.
I heated a skillet with oil and fryed them on each side and end until browned.
In the meantime, I heated the oven to 400 degrees. Once fried, I put them in the oven to finish for 20
minuets. They were very tasty, but I must warn, it was a huge portion. I only finished half of mine. Oh, goodie. Leftovers!!!! I served them with a country gravy, the extra stuffing that was baked according to box directions, and some steamed broccoli. Now I make the gravy with a rue and milk, but actually it doesn't need gravy. DELISH.


No comments:

Post a Comment